you're reading...

The Liverpool Pathway to State Sanctioned Murder. My Response

Dear Sir or Madam, 

I am writing to you regarding my father Michael Rathbone, currently being treated on Ward 60 at Hull Royal Infirmary.  

I wish the following sequence of events to be investigated by the most appropriate Hospital Managers, and having outlined the situation in an objective manner as is possible, I have posed a serious of questions to which I would appreciate direct, concise and forensic replies. I have written to the Right Honourable Alan Johnson MP of whom my father is a constituent. He wishes to be appraised of your response. In addition I have instructed my Solicitor to act in my families best interest though naturally I do not expect it to come to that, provided we see evidence of goodwill, and a clear plan of action on behalf of the Hospital both to serve my father’s best interest and to ensure lessons are learnt.   

For the record all medical notes and files are intact and on Ward 60 as of Thursday 25th November. 

As the record will show my father was admitted to the Hospital earlier this month with chronic constipation. He was placed on Ward 70. 

An abscess developed which required drainage in surgery, which was completed in the second week of the month. Information from Ward 70 was hard to garner and in addition when I pointed out my father has severe mental health issues and requested a visit from Psychological Medicine as he had shut down, I was told this was not appropriate. These sentiments were conveyed in a dismissive and thoughtless manner. Each time I requested information regarding my father’s condition I received confused and contradictory information from the staff on 70. 

Matters deteriorated and resulted in my father going to HDU on 05/11. However my father was then sent to Ward 6 in anticipation of further surgery. Once again incomplete and contradictory information was given. 

On Tuesday 16th the Consultant asked to see me. He was of the opinion that my father was not in fit shape to be subjected to surgery and had himself expressed no wish to undergo an operation. I concurred based on what I was being told. I asked about his mental health issues and their impact on this decision. The response was vague. I asked about his anti psychotic medication and was told he was “written up for it”. I assumed that this meant it was being administered. However further investigation proved this not to be the case, hence my father’s total lack of communication. 

On 15th November I was informed that the staff were of the opinion my father had reached the end of the line and was close to death. Thus I agreed to his placement on the “Liverpool Pathway to Dying”. 

The aim was to make my father comfortable and allow him to slip away. I prepared myself, refused my own admission to Ward 12 for life saving treatment for anti GAD associated cerebella ataxia, informed my family and waited with my Dad for the inevitable as I had promised him he would not die alone.


All nutrition, hydration and all medication for psychosis were withdrawn. Only mouth care and general hygiene were continued. No routine checks were carried out, and I was alone with Dad for hours on end with no one coming into the room. 

By day four I was very concerned that he was suffering and on day six I requested he be hydrated. It was stated categorically by the nurse in charge on Saturday 20th at approximately mid day that any hydration was against the Pathway. However the document for professional clearly states that, “blanket withdrawal of hydration is morally indefensible”. My research also indicated the terrible and catastrophic suffering to a patient who is conscious would undergo if denied hydration for such a long period. On Sunday I met with the registrar and hydration was restored and given that there was no infection still present and that my father was still cognitively clear full interventions were re instated. 

Needless to say I, as my Dad’s sole relative and my family have been through indescribable trauma over these last days, but more importantly my father has been put through the most appalling ordeal so naturally I expect the following issues to be directly addressed in the manner I outlined above. My work currently involves dealing with Labour Leader Ed Miliband’s day to day mailbag, and I have read some heart rending narratives, but reading back and reflecting on the above, none include such terrible suffering being inflicted on an individual as has been visited on my Dad.   

1.   What did the CT Scan on admission show? How much damage was there to the bowel? 

2.   For what reason were the mental health team not involved at the earliest possible opportunity? 

3.   On 15th November what did the Consultant opinion that my father was actually dying of? To what extent did “Quality of Life” come into the equation?


4.   Why were my Dad’s anti psychotic drugs not given? If not by mouth why not through the tube as soon as possible? 

5.   Why was no written information supplied to me about the Pathway? 

6.   Why, given the protocol was hydration completely withdrawn? Was this to hasten death? 

7.   Why, on day six were we denied re hydration? This pro longed and exacerbated my Dad’s suffering. This is considered “morally indefensible” by the protocol. 

8.   Why were no observations undertaken for the six days he was on the Pathway? According to the Protocol was no MDT Review conducted. This is meant to happen every three day, discreet from the Ward round. 

9.   To what extent has my Dad been damaged by de hydration, such as effects on kidney and liver function? Has this precluded any further surgical intervention? 

Yours sincerely, 

Dermot Rathbone







About dermotrathbone

Writer and co author "Through Red Lenses". Activist Unite the Union, Save Our NHS Hull. Fan of Yorkshire County Cricket Club, Hull FC, Munster and Ireland Rugby. Views are mine alone and may not reflect the organisations concerned.


6 thoughts on “The Liverpool Pathway to State Sanctioned Murder. My Response

  1. dermot, it is very sad the way your father was treated on the back door euthanasia, method, on the liverpool dont care pathway, you do have my deepest feelings the barbaric way he was made to suffer, i have seen two relatives go through the same disgusting, immoral treatment, thousands have been murdered in this so called care pathway,keep fighting dermot like me and be heard, more should speak up for their loved ones,its a sad society its evil.god bless dermot.

    Posted by john meehan | January 25, 2012, 10:00 pm
  2. hello, dermot please e-mail me on the treatment of your father, much obliged john.

    Posted by john meehan | January 28, 2012, 12:19 am
  3. My relative spent 3 days in hospital before dying of ‘old age’. I thought that was no longer allowed as a reason after Shipman. They did not treat him at all, removed hydration until we complained. Would not tell us what they thought was wrong. We were not told about the LCP but I do believe they made a decision not to treat without any discussion with us.

    Posted by Anon | October 15, 2012, 11:37 pm
    • my dad died today on lcp he lasted a week given a leaflet yesterday explainjng ithe plan , i was horrified but to late to do anything as i got told he had renal failure, he was treated in hospital for a chest infection the doc told me he wasnt eating or drinking but when my daugter saw him a nurse was giviing him a drink he was enjjoying it the nurse was baffled we had been told this,he did have dementia aswell asked to go in too speak to doc told he was coming to the end of his life said he bin taking fluids made a comment his chest infection was responding to treatment but quality of life ect recommended palliative care back at his care home,thinking back now the pathway was already in progress as i onley got told yesterday the 4 nov they were doing that the more info i red today the more distressed iv become bein told he could not swallow last night the distress in his face haunts me i realise now he was asisisted to die sooner then he should of the look in his eyes will haunt me an why did i trust everything i was told

      Posted by c brooks | November 6, 2012, 12:16 am
  4. Hello Dermot, I lost my mother in January 2010. Even though her quality of life did not appear great (she suffered from dementia and had had to go in to a home) she was loved by all her children and enjoyed the life she led at the home. However, following a fall and a long sleepless night, some cretinous GP thought fit to commence the LCP without talking to any of us, believing she was “distressed”. To my mind he decided her time was up and ended her life. The GP never contacted us – even though we were only 15 minutes drive away and visited her on a daily basis – so we never got to speak with her again. The whole process fills me with horror. I am sure that when it is used in a hospice environment by competent practitioners it brings relief to those patients who are very near the end of their lives. However, there are too many idiots, posing as doctors, who seem to think that someone having a bad day could be an excuse to ensure they never have one again.

    Posted by Marian | October 30, 2012, 8:02 pm
  5. My mother entered hospital on an emergency basis in January 2006 and was diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukaemia and given just weeks to live. I was told by her consultant that mum needed palliative care and I was asked to find a care home asap and to this I agreed and managed to find a good quality care home and arrange for their assessment on what would have been within 72 hours of admission. This apparently was not good enough for the University Hospital who went behind my back and arranged for mum to be transferred to a local community hospital of which I had no knowledge as to levels of care. I insisted that time be given for mum to be assessed by the care home I had chosen and no transfer took place but my mother died on the day the assessment was due to take place. One day mum was alert and the next day she was in a coma and died within a short time of the administration of morphine. During her short stay in hospital she spent at least one night in urine soaked sheets, complained to me that she asked for help at meal times and was met with derision, and I witnessed for myself that water had been placed out-of-reach the day before mum died.

    Posted by joyce aynsley | November 1, 2012, 10:10 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 898 other followers


%d bloggers like this: